Emilia Niemiec investigates ethical, legal and social implications of genomics in SIENNA project. She is a post-doc at the Centre for Research Ethics & Bioethics. During her PhD (Erasmus Plus PhD Programme in Law, Science and Technology) she studied ethical and legal issues of whole genome sequencing. She conducted the first empirical study of direct-to-consumer offer of whole genome sequencing. Emilia holds degrees in Bioethics (MSc, University of Leuven) and Biotechnology (MEng, Warsaw University of Life Sciences).
Technology, ethics and human rights
Genomics, Enhancement, AI & Robotics
The SIENNA project will address ethical issues in three new and emerging areas with major socio-economic impact.
News from the SIENNA project
- Applications, benefits and concerns of human genomics 2019-01-29
- Human genomics: New project video! 2019-01-28
- Recap of Human Genomics foresight workshop 2019-01-25
- Recap of Human Enhancement foresight workshop 2019-01-24
- Call for papers: Ethics and Human Rights in Smart Information Systems 2019-01-23
- Recap of AI & Robotics foresight workshop 2019-01-23
- Tell us what you think are the important future technologies in human genomics! 2019-01-09
- Season's greetings from SIENNA 2018-12-21
- Stakeholder input to SIENNA: Foresight 2018-12-21
- Embedded EthiCS postdoc opportunity at Harvard University 2018-12-14
- Looking for AI expertise! 2018-12-04
- AI & Robotics: New project video 2018-11-14
- Collecting stakeholder input on legal aspects of Genomics, Human Enhancement, AI & Robotics 2018-11-08
- Law Disrupted, Law Re-Imagined, Law Re-Invented 2018-11-06
- Human Enhancement: Issues for SIENNA 2018-09-12
- SIENNA infographic on AI and robotics 2018-07-11
- SIENNA - soon in your langauge! 2018-07-05
- The SIENNA project in Spanish 2018-06-26
- Fostering cooperation and finding synergies 2018-06-11
- SIENNA underscores major issues of big data and AI at SHERPA workshop 2018-05-24
Your DNA Your SAy
>> Tell us what you think
This is a film-survey experience on DNA and medical data sharing.
Ethical, legal and social issues of gene editing
Gene editing technology pushes genetics beyond diagnostic testing and into the realm of treatment. We address the ethical, legal and social issues associated.
Analysis of VUS reporting, variant reinterpretation and recontact policies in clinical genomic sequencing consent forms
Part of European Journal of Human Genetics, p. 1743-1751, 2018.
How do consent forms for diagnostic high-throughput sequencing address unsolicited and secondary findings?: A content analysis
Part of Clinical Genetics, p. 321-329, 2018.
'Your DNA, Your Say': global survey gathering attitudes toward genomics: design, delivery and methods
Part of Personalized Medicine, p. 311-318, 2018.
Current ethical and legal issues in health-related direct-to-consumer genetic testing
Part of Personalized Medicine, p. 433-445, 2017.